I am lucky enough to have generous friends and family all around me and these generous people also know what I like and how I roll. Most people in my life ask me before giving away or throwing away furniture and old items and I LOVE it.

I do not get to keep too many of these items anymore since I live in a smaller home but this one was a MUST!

My BFF J inherited a fabulous record player console from her great uncle. It was in her home for while but once she could not find room for it anymore-I got it!

The record player before is similar to this one: (I took a before photo but it was terrible. Bad blogger!)

record player

(source)

Inside the record player I found the original instruction manual, extra knobs and parts, and the original receipt from 1968! How cool is that?

This record player had some slight wear to the top veneer and the screens over the speakers were coming loose-that was all it took for me to decide to upcycle this record player!

DSC_0004

DSC_0005

I started by ripping off the fabric on the speaker fronts.

DSC_0009

I decided to paint the console teal (since I had it on hand and it matches my living room), here it is after 1 coat:

DSC_0045

I gave it another coat:

DSC_0059

I then decided this was a little too much (color) on this console so I took my glaze (won in an online drawing) and went to town. (My win is talked more about here.)

If you haven’t used a glaze before it is similar to watered down paint. You brush, roll, or pat on and then you wipe off however much you want to get your desired effect. A dry cloth will take off less than a wet cloth.

DSC_0224

DSC_0225

Glaze is awesome because you cannot mess it up! and it’s personal. Do what you want.

I then got this wallpaper (Target calls it Wallpaper but its really just fancy contact paper in my opinion). I had a gift card which is the only reason I splurged on this paper-but I do love it :)

wallpaper

I simply did a peel & stick on each speaker side and DONE!

DSC_0229

DSC_0229

What do you guys think? I LOVE it.

Stay tuned for my top 10 vinyl list for must have music.

signature

8 thoughts on “DIY: Upcycled 1960’s Vintage Record Player Console

Thank you, me too!

1. Cleona says:

Honestly it doesn’t look like the same one that was given to you. The toned down color is great as well as the wallpaper.
    I want grandpa to refinish one of our night stands but we don’t know where to start. I don’t want it to be too big of a job. I bet you could give me some idea. And I will ask your mom Wed. She did that with our desk long ago. The desk was my mother’s. I’m sure she ordered it from a catalog. She ordered several things that way. Isn’t that funny, reminds one of buying on line these days.

Thanks. Yea, I am sure Mom could give you come ideas and pointers. and You’re right-buying from a catalog is a lot like buying online now-order it and wait by the mailbox :)

2. Rachael says:

Totally dig it!!! Looks great under your TV!

Thank you. Husband mounted the TV for my birthday-best gift ever!

3. Erika says:

It looks awesome! I am totally intimidated by painting, anything. I think you did a great job. Love that wallpaper you chose as well. :-)

Thank you! I am enjoying it :) When it comes to painting-I say got for it! The worst that can happen is you don’t like it and you start over, and I do do that all the time. You can do it!