Husband and I (and of course, our friends) celebrate Groundhog Day in a big way. Traditional foods, drinks, a song, and more!
I thought I would honor Groundhog Day by sharing some fun facts. Now you will have some trivia to impress everyone on February 2nd.
1. Groundhog day falls midway between the winter solstice (shortest day of the year) and the spring equinox (the longest day of the year).
2. The first official Groundhog Day celebration took place on February 2, 1887, in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
3. Groundhog Day proceedings in Punxsutawney are carried out by a band of local dignitaries known as the Inner Circle and they speak to the groundhog in “Groundhogese.”
4. Groundhogs can live for 10 years in captivity but Punxsutawney Phil is more than 125 years old thanks to the magical punch he drinks every summer during the Annual Groundhog Picnic.
5. During Prohibition Phil threatened to impose 60 weeks of winter on the community if he wasn’t allowed a drink.
6. Phil’s full name is actually: Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Weather Prophet Extraordinary.
Hope this helps get everyone in the mood for this fun holiday! Enjoy!
…and if nothing else-watch the movie.