You might sense sarcasm in that title-but there is none! I LOVE renting-at least right now in my life.
If you are renting and are NOT loving it-stick with me and I’ll point out some of the benefits to focus on.
1. You are NOT responsible for the home itself: any problems, water leaks, plumbing issues, furnace or air conditioner issues, roofing problems-someone else deals with these things. All you have to do is call and someone comes over and takes care of the problems-for free!
2. When you find yourself low on cash or looking for a lifestyle change-you can leave the home behind with no regrets or dread hanging over you-just wait for the end of your contract and head out to the next home!
3. You spend less on home decor and renovation projects because it isn’t your home. Some might see these limitations as “hard to deal with” but I believe if you have the right attitude-you will see it as a blessing.
for example: I do not like electric stoves-if I owned the house we live in now I would replace the stove (which works great by the way) with a gas stove. Since I do not own this house-that is not in my control. BUT
– Now I know how to cook on an electric stove and the next place we move-the stove type doesn’t have to be a deal breaker on whether or not we move in.
– I am learning to be content with what I have. Do I wish the stove was gas-YES-but my electric stove cooks food and provides breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for my family-I have no room to complain!
– Also, by being content with what I have now-I know I can make it with an electric stove in the future-and that could save me some money! (Always a good thing.)
4. Renting a home really does teach you what you can be content with and what would be a deal breaker if/when you decide to purchase your own home.
for example: Husband and I live in a home with one bathroom-this is NOT a deal breaker for me. I think I could live in a home with only one bathroom for the rest of my life and not think twice about it. For some of you-I know this is crazy talk :) To each his own.
5. No taxes, no unexpected home bills or charges, and cheaper insurance! Enough said.
If you need some encouragement on how to make your home more “homey” check out these blogs:
*This post is not meant to encourage anyone to rent or not to rent-it is simple a list to help those of us renting to see the benefits and have a good attitude about where we are in life. I am in no way saying owning or purchasing a home is a bad thing-on the contrary I think it is a wonderful thing! But this is my station as of right now and I want to encourage others :)