It has been about a year since I stopped using my electric dryer. It was part choice and part dryer not working good enough. I LOVE not using my dryer. Doing laundry is more relaxing now and it no longer costs an arm and a leg-I have saved myself about $20 a month by not using my dryer!
My clothes are in better shape and hold their color longer and my towels are awesomely scratchy (more on that below).
Line drying does take some practice so here are a few tips if you would like to try line drying your laundry:
- use 1 clothespin for 2 items if possible
- hang things upside down (especially pants)
- give everything a stiff flick of the wrist when it comes out of the washer (helps get out wrinkles)
- stiff towels are your friend: I am a convert. When I first started line drying my laundry I was left with stiff, scratchy towels (even with vinegar-a natural fabric softener). I started to read up on forums and blog about other people having the same issue. Most people came to one conclusion: scratchy towels are awesome and you should give them a try. So I did and …love a scratchy towel now! Not only do they absorb more water this way, they also feel great against the skin-like a built in exfoliate/massage
- you can use any string or line but this one this awesome, extendable, and retractable
- hang heavier items on the outside and lighter items o the inside (middle) this will keep sagging to a minimum
Got any tips to make line drying easier and faster? Share them in the comments.