I love going to the thrift store. I like not knowing exactly what I am going to find. I like having unique items (for the home or for self). And I like spending little money and getting lots.
In SoBo we had a fabulous Salvation Army close, now that I am in the Queen City I had to find a new favorite thrift store. Luckily a new St. Vincent de Paul opened up about 15-20 minutes from my house. It is large, the people are nice, and it is well organized (three essentials for me). I am going to share some of my tips for thrifting and hope it inspires you to go out and try. I know you’ll find something!
here are my tips:
- Go often: merchandise is always changing and good items go quickly
- Go when you have time to spare: you will be there longer than you think–always
- Have a set spending limit: same as any other shopping endeavor
- Pick a starting point and work your way through the entire store
- Grab anything you like: grab now, decide later-it might be gone if you do not pick it up right away
- Inspect every item closely and if someone else is with you-have them inspect the items too: check for discoloration, tears and rips etc. can it be fixed? If not-do not buy it
- Do NOT pay attention to size tags: many items are vintage or may have originally come from a factory store-so the size is irrelevant
- DO pay attention to laundering instructions: do you want to buy a dress that is dry clean only? If so-great, if not-put it back for someone else
- Try it on!
- Ask yourself 3 questions: Do you love it? Do you need it? What will you do with it?
Hope this motivates you to get out and start thrifting! Don’t blame me if you become addicted!